Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Round and Round the Teenager

Note: this is a departure from my regular blog posts because:
1. it happens in the present (when I'm 45 and my son is 14)
2. it is not about dating, although it is about parenting as a single, divorced mom
3. it is my first entry to Scribbit. This month's write-away contest has the theme "Going Places", so here I go.

Round and Round the Teenager

When I moved into my apartment building 12 years ago, my son's arm could barely reach the ground-floor button in the elevator. The ride up and down the elevator to the ninth floor must have seemed like a big trip for him.

Now at 5' 5" (165 cm) and growing, my fourteen-year old now calls me "shorty". He outdoes me in almost any aspect as do most of his classmates in his gifted class, and looking at him, just finishing 7th Grade (or Grade 7 as they say in Canada and "kita zayin" in Israel in Hebrew), I drift back to my own summers as a teenager.

Although I had a seemingly conventional family (mother, father, sister, brother and canary), summer cottage, sailboat, canoe, and chipmunks and squirrels we managed to domesticate, with the help of some sunflower seeds conveniently strewn on the steps leading up to the cottage, I dreaded the loneliness of not seeing my friends in the summer. They spent their summer
at the other side of the lake, which was 60 miles (100 kilometers) away.

I spent my days swimming or canoeing in the half-frozen lake, thankful for the fact that we had mosquitoes on our side of the lake, but the west side of the lake had mosquitoes AND fish flies. I never experienced the now common occurrence of bears actually coming up to the cottage property, scouting out food.

Fast forward back to my fourteen year-old. How different his summers are -no father, sister, brother or bird (at least not living with him since I'm divorced and don't recall giving birth to any other kids), computers, internet, Tel Aviv humidity combined with 40-degree Celsius heat,
but with no hole in the ozone layer like in Canada. He also doesn't seem very interested in meeting up with his friends. After endless tests and projects, bar mitzvah parties and end-of-year get- togethers, his peers just want one thing - to sleep-in.

Tomorrow we are going to the funeral of a dear family friend, 80-years old, who was like a grandfather to my son. When I'm eighty, my son will be forty-nine, five years older than I am today. Will there be any water left in the lakes? Will there be any fuel to power the planes across the oceans?

The price of gas doesn't affect the time-traveling mind of this writer,nor her teenager who will have to be content with traveling round and round Wikipedia until this writer finishes paying for his bar mitzvah travels and festivities from last year. (But that's another post yet to be written..)


6 comments:

Scribbit said...

Thanks for entering--that passage of time is so shocking isn't it? My husband and I are hitting our 16th anniversary this week and it feels like a blink. Hard to believe I have a teen!

Anonymous said...

Just blog browsing, and came across your site, glad I did :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I hope you'll return :)
Not sure where the picture is from, I just got it off the net, the picture is really everywhere in Internet land!
Take care and thanks again for stopping.

WORKING MOM said...

Canada. Living only two hours from Canada and all of its beauty, I am sure that you are missing it.

Anonymous said...

Your life seems so interesting! I look forward to getting to know you better - thanks so much for reading and commenting. I'm so sorry that you recently lost your friend. What a very painful and life-altering time that must be. I hope you are healing and perhaps finding comfort in writing.

Gilit Frank said...

Thanks for your kind words - I'm new to blogging but I'm amazed at how quickly one builds a blogging community.